Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cleavage, Humiliation, and Hairspray...I Smell a Wedding!

I HATE that old adage “always a bridesmaid, never a bride”. I hate it mainly because it applies to me. This weekend I will be a bridesmaid for the third time. I won’t count the numerous weddings in which I was involved in other ways…flower girl, registrar, server, hander-outer-of something.
Weddings are really hard when you are single. Well for me they were. I know there are some people out there who use that as an excuse to try to bang a bridesmaid or have their way with a groomsman. I saw the movie! I know how it works! I, being the funny one, not the slutty one, usually just found them depressing cause everyone is in love and finds it a great excuse to give and receive many open mouthed, full on tongue, kisses, while you are standing there talking to them about the weather. I would eat a lot of cake and die a little inside, while all the while smiling really big and posing for all the pictures. Then of course I’d go home and tell my dogs all about it while saying things like “I just can’t believe it, I was the hottest one there” or “Being married is lame-o anyway”. The dog was probably thinking “Yeah right mom, I’ll be a bastard forever”.
Well, now I am not single, but I might as well be, because in the world of weddings, I am not married, or engaged yet. I am worthless! What is worse is that my man has to work and will not be attending all the wedding festivities with me this weekend. He is totally bummed about it; let me tell you (YEAH RIGHT!). So I have to see all the love goings-on while not having a date. Also, I know practically no one. So it should be an exciting weekend out for me.
I tried my dress on yesterday while talking to the bride-to-be on the phone. I am pretty sure that someone will have to use a clothes hanger to zip this dress up. On a good note though, as tight as the dress is, it gives me great cleavage; which is nice because it is a sweetheart top and all I see when I look in the mirror is my football player shoulders. It looks as if I might walk down the isle and proceed to tackle the preacher. That could make an interesting wedding though! Seeing as how this is a ritzy wedding, they might not like that. Oh, and I can’t forget that the bride has requested that I wear flats so I don’t tower over everyone. I’m going to look like a big kid! (A big kid with great cleavage, who could possibly tackle you).
You can believe that with all this wedding talk, I am sweating my Mr. Big pretty bad. We are kind of still living that poor college kid buys a house life, so we are saving for the whole thing. I know that, but you get me around a wedding and I want to throw plates and shoes at him and scream about how I am always a bridesmaid, NEVER A BRIDE! I think he is quite looking forward to this being over. But then I have like half a dozen friends that are pregnant, so that is a whole new fight!
So, as I walk down the isle, and possibly take out a member of the clergy, remember…choose your bridesmaid dresses wisely, cause one day, there may be a dress with a big butt bow and puffy sleeves planned for you, in revenge.

3 comments:

Michele Maule said...

Great blog!
It will happen, don't worry. Until then keep telling yourself that marriage is over rated, and embrace your singleness while you can! :)

animeg said...

eh, I'm even worse off. I'm the only single single woman in the universe.

Little Crit said...

Marriage is overrated. You're wonderful!